[listing expires 03/10/2021]
Organization Name: BRAHM
Organization Website: www.blowingrockmuseum.org
BRAHM is a mid-sized museum located in the resort community of Blowing Rock, NC nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains. The museum opened to the public in 2011 although was founded as an organization in 2001. The museum building is a LEED certified, state-of-the-art, 25,000 square foot building located just off of Main Street. It has a staff of ten full and part-time people and operates on a budget of around $750,000 per year. The museum is healthy financially and survived 2020 without any layoffs of staff and without using any funds from cash reserves. The museum staff are very collaborative.
BRAHM is seeking a Curator of Exhibitions and Collections. This position is full-time, salaried, and exempt. A successful candidate needs a Bachelors Degree in Art History or Art Management (Master’s Degree preferred) and at least three years of experience as a Curator or Curatorial Assistant. This person must have knowledge and experience in all aspects of exhibitions and collections management. We are a small staff that are doing big things, and staff members are encouraged to strive for greatness. We have a number of significant upcoming exhibitions, as well as a growing permanent collection, that require the expertise of a museum professional and need someone who is ready to jump in and take the reins. We seek a person dedicated to art and history who works well with others, is a skilled multitasker, and has strong managerial skills.
- Conceptualize the exhibitions, perform needed scholarly research, select artworks and objects for display, create exhibition layouts, arrange transportation, create all written and visual content for the exhibition
- Oversee the development and production of exhibitions that have guest curators and exhibitions that are travelling to the museum on loan
- Lead gallery preparations, gallery design, installations and deinstallations.
- Collaborate with other staff and Docents as needed for marketing, programming, education, and interpretation
- Manage all paperwork for incoming and outgoing loans
- Participate in and oversee installation and deinstallation
- Conduct regular gallery checks and work with the appropriate staff on issues with HVAC, security, lighting, etc.
- Be available for some afterhours and weekend events
- Manage the care, interpretation and organization of the museum’s collections.
- Maintain all paperwork and documentation of objects in the collections
- Ensure the safe storage and display of objects in the collections to best museum standards
- Manage all records related to gifts and loans with the donors and lenders
- Continue to refine the scope of collection
- Continue to refine the Collections Policy and Procedures
- Oversee the volunteer Docent Program
- Create Gallery Guides for Docents to use to study the exhibitions and guide them through all new exhibitions
- Manage the tour scheduling
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign
- Create or collaborate on all graphic design for the exhibitions from design to printing to installation
Budgeting and Fundraising
- Set budgets for each exhibition
- Assist in grant writing and fundraising to support exhibitions
Collaborate with Staff
- Curator helps with the planning for a comprehensive experience for our visitors. Curator works with other staff to help with the development of programs, educational programs, and marketing that coordinate with the exhibition schedule
- Curator serves as an ambassador for the museum by regularly engaging with members, being a positive member of the community, speaking on behalf of the museum, and in general representing the museum well in public.
Salary commensurate with experience, $35,000 - $41,000. Healthcare stipend, Simple IRA match, generous PTO, and the benefit of working in wonderful community in the mountains of North Carolina
Hiring Salary Range: $35,000 - $41,000