[listing expires 11/14/2021]
Organization Name: Charlotte Museum of History
Organization Website: www.charlottemuseum.org
POSITION: MUSEUM ASSOCIATE (TWO POSITIONS AVAILABLE)
Job Announcement Date: October 12, 2021
Appointment Type: Part-Time Hourly Employee
Compensation: Hourly rate starts at $12.00/hour, commensurate with experience.
This position reports to the President & CEO.
Deadline to Apply: November 14, 2021
The Charlotte Museum of History (CMH) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that interprets and preserves Charlotte’s unique history, enriching the community through shared understanding of the past and inspiring dialogue about the future. As the first person a visitor typically meets at The Charlotte Museum of History, the Museum Associate is the critical frontline public-facing staff member responsible for enhancing the Museum visitor’s experience by offering exceptional customer service.
The Museum Associate maintains a working knowledge of Charlotte’s history and Museum content to answer questions from visitors. The Museum Associate is able to work with minimal supervision and is comfortable opening and closing the Museum and the 1774 Alexander Homesite. Occasionally, the Museum Associate leads tours. In addition, the Museum Associate performs a variety of administrative tasks including data entry, sales reporting, and visual merchandising. This is a part-time position, approximately 21.5 hours per week, with a regular work schedule including two days during the week (between Tuesday – Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, schedule TBD at time of hire) and every Saturday from 10:30 am to 5:00 pm, with opportunities for additional hours, including evening and holiday hours for special events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as the Museum’s first ambassador, warmly greeting visitors to the Museum and those who call or email with questions.
- Process Museum admissions, event registrations, and Museum Shop sales accurately and thoroughly.
- Tally visitor attendance accurately.
- Reconcile daily sales reports accurately.
- When visitors arrive at the Museum for business meetings with other staff, greet them warmly and alert Museum staff to their arrival.
- Ensure the safety and security of all visitors while on CMH property at all times; respond calmly and professionally to emergencies. Ensure the safety and security of CMH site and buildings, exhibits, and collections by following CMH policies and procedures and museum industry best practices.
- Answer calls and emails, route calls and emails to staff effectively and courteously.
- Assist Museum staff with marketing, draft e-newsletters, add Museum event listings to public calendars, create upcoming events flyers, etc.
- Assist with filing and data entry, e.g. enter email addresses into Constant Contact, assist with Talisma donor database management, track event registrations, prepare mailings, etc.
- Support staff in delivering a diverse slate of in-person, virtual, and hybrid programming such as guided tours, school field trips, special Museum events, and private rental events. Assist in setup and breakdown for programs and special events, greeting guests, and providing general events operations support.
- Assist with inventory controls and inventory re-orders.
- Restock the Museum Shop and maintain a neat and orderly store.
- Maintain a positive attitude and outstanding work ethic, interact cooperatively and respectfully with others internally and externally.
- Assist with other duties as assigned to maintain successful operations and programs.
Qualified candidates will have the following capabilities and qualities at minimum:
- Bachelor’s Degree (or working towards a Bachelor’s Degree).
- A minimum of two years’ experience in retail and/or the customer service industry.
- Outstanding customer service ethic: a bright, engaging demeanor with the ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Refined attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with point-of-sale systems, experience with / ability to learn Square.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
- Demonstrated ability to calculate sales and collect money accurately.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
In addition to the required qualifications listed above, ideal candidates will have the following capabilities and qualities:
- A passion for history; enthusiasm and knowledge about Charlotte’s history a plus.
- Experience or ability to learn basic graphic design for Museum marketing using Canva, Constant Contact, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Working knowledge of databases, particularly Talisma Donor Database, a plus.
- Resourcefulness and the ability to anticipate needs.
- Spanish fluency a plus.
This position operates in a professional work environment and routinely involves the use of computers, printers, telephones, and filing cabinets. While performing the duties of this job, the Museum Associate is regularly required to talk and hear; frequently is required to stand, to walk, and to use arms and hands to carry. This position requires the ability to regularly lift chairs and folding tables (up to 40 pounds), and the physical ability to navigate through historic buildings with multiple flights of stairs and tight spaces. The Museum Associate will assist with programs that will take place outdoors and in historic buildings across the Museum’s 8-acre campus.
COVID-19 VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
As a public-facing organization, The Charlotte Museum of History (CMH) requires all staff members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Candidates must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and present acceptable proof of vaccination by the date of hire as a condition of employment. CMH will consider requests for reasonable accommodation as required under applicable law. To qualify as being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 there should have been a two week period after receiving the second dose (or any government recommended booster shot) in a 2-dose COVID-19 vaccine series, or a two week period after receiving a single-dose (or any government recommended booster shot) in a single dose COVID-19 vaccine.
Email cover letter, resume, and/or CV to Adria Focht at CLTmuseumHR@gmail.com. Please indicate in the subject line of your email the position to which you are applying and where you learned of the opportunity. The Charlotte Museum of History values diversity and inclusion and is an equal opportunity employer. Only candidates invited for screening will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please note: The Museum Associate job posting has changed since 2020. Previous applicants should reapply using the directions listed above.
Hiring Salary Range: $12.00/hour